Sunday, October 3, 2010

Am I crazy?

I must be. I entered the 2010 NaNoWriMo's 50,000 words in 30 days starting November 1st. Insane, isn't it? That's approximately 1600+ words daily for 30 days. Piece a cake right? Well, given that I work 5 days a week, have 2 children and 2 pets to take care of, there's a holiday in November...umm, no pressure.

Why would you enter, you ask? Well, at the time I hadn't calculated out how many words a day I needed to do and it sounded fun. LOL Honestly, I entered because I feel strongly about the story I've been plotting and I felt the NaNo's would give me the push I need to get the rough draft done. REMEMBRANCE took me 2 years to write and is still waiting for my editing. I'll admit, I laxed off on that story more often than naught and thank heavens I had great friends who pushed (whipped) me right to the very end.

I can be a procrastinator at times and I know what pushes me. Also, I don't want to bother my friends with another story (well at least until I have a finished product-ha). Knowing I have a deadline to meet and a wonderful story to create is the push I need. I figure either way I win. If I meet the goal - Fantastic - I get my lovely NaNo parting gifts and a 50,000 word rough draft. If I don't meet the goal...then I have something more than I started with on November 1st.

What I hope to learn from this experience is to just write. By that I mean, to stop editing while I'm doing the rough draft. It slows me down trying to perfect a sentence. I stop when I need to look something up (research); these things break the creative flow. I need to make highlighted comments and learn to go back later. Since the NaNo's are all about just writing, writing, writing, it's my goal to do just that. I feel good, so far, about this.

October is my month to prepare. I've been outlining, plotting, creating character assessments, and interviewing my characters. Trust me when I say they're talking. Emma, James and Seren have been letting me know how they want their story told. Though, if James keeps changing his tune...I may have to fix his sorry arse. (I'm the writer I can do that-HA) It's been very interesting. Damn them though-they won't tell me the end. They say it's a surprise. LOL

It's fun preparing for the big day. A large part of me wants to start now but the rules state no actual writing until 11-1-2010. I did create a prologue for this story awhile back but had to stop the story when I hurt my hand. Now that my hand is just about back, well...it is time! The prologue and its word count will not be used for the NaNo's. I tend to write prologues to see if the story works for me. I have approximately 3-4 prologues sitting around, along with my, What if..." folder. Prologues are my jumping pads to the actual story and this one rocks (if I do say so myself).

November will be a tough month but if I can stay true to my Chapter outlines I know I can do this thing. I have to unplug from the internet and just do it - WRITE, WRITE, WRITE. I need to make SEREN'S ANGEL a reality.

Wish me luck, heaven knows I'm going to need it.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, now c'mon Rob. You know we'll talk and still see each other. I may have a glazed look in my eye and paper n pen in hand but I'll def see you in November. This is for the greater good. Once I finish this story I can move onto Maine-ac and you know you want that story. :-)

    ReplyDelete